|Location||Spisske Podhradie, Eastern Slovakia|
|Special sign||the largest castle in Slovakia|
|Distance from Bratislava||360 km|
Spis castle is one of the most beautiful sites in Slovakia. It is situated in eastern Slovakia on a dolomite rock above village Spisske Podhradie and the village Zehra, Spis region. The castle belongs to the national heritage of Slovakia and in 1993 was included in the UNESCO list of World Heritage Sites and is one of the largest castle sites of Europe.
History of Spis castle is very rich. In the past it was military fort and seat of the Spis governor. It was built in the 12th century and in the 15th century it was completely rebuilt. The Gothic chapel was added in late 15th century. The family Cseky was the last owner of Spis Castle. In 18the century the family moved out from the castle to newly built places. In 1780 the castle burned down. It was partially reconstructed in the 20th century. The reconstructed parts of the Spis castle now server as a museum of Spis culture, weapons and a torture room. There are two entrances to the castles. The main gate is on the eastern side from Spisske Podhradie. The stone columns situated at the gate were originally connected with wooden girders.
For more pictures visit our photogallery